خرید بک لینک
Over 2,000 stricken migrants rescued in the Mediterranean

More than 2,000 people have been rescued in the Mediterranean. Photo: Ricardo Garcia Vilanova/AFP

AFP · 24 May 2016, 08:33

Published: 24 May 2016 08:33 GMT+02:00

Two Italian naval vessels rescued more than 500 people while two Doctors Without Borders (MSF) boats took another 788 migrants.

An Irish navy boat rescued hundreds more as did a passing cargo ship, according to the coastguard.

They did not give the nationalities of those saved, but most of the migrants who undertake the perilous jouey in overcrowded vessels come from sub-Saharan Africa.

So far this year more that 34,000 people have been brought to the Italian coast after being rescued off Libya, according to the UN refugee agency.

With the retu of the good weather the rescue operations are expected to increase.

For the time being the numbers arriving are similar to those seen last year and in 2014.

For more news from Italy, join us on Facebook and Twitter.

Today's headlines

Over 2,000 stricken migrants rescued in the Mediterranean

More than 2,000 people have been rescued in the Mediterranean. Photo: Ricardo Garcia Vilanova/AFP

So far this year more than 34,000 people have been brought to the Italian coast after being rescued off Libya.

Suspected Portuguese, Russian 'spies' arrested in Rome

A senior Portuguese intelligence officer has been arrested in Rome along with a Russian. Photo: Raffaele Esposito

A source close to the case said the secrets allegedly passed on conceed the European Union and Nato, of which Portugal is a member.

How the brutal murder of an anti-mafia hero altered Sicily

Anti-mafia judge Giovai Falcone was murdered in 1992. Photo: Gerard Fouet/AFP

Monday marked the 24th aiversary since the Sicilian judge and anti-mafia campaigner, Giovai Falcone, was assassinated after a bomb was placed under his car on a highway near the town of Capaci.

Euro 2016

Pirlo and Balotelli missing as Conte finetunes Italy squad

Antonio Conte has cut cut several Euro 2016 hopefuls from a preliminary squad. Photo: Fredrik Varfjell/AFP

It now looks certain that neither Andrea Pirlo or Mario Balotelli will feature at Euro 2016.

Cheesed-off Italy seeks damages over US soap opera gag

Producers of Grana Padano cheese have filed a complaint against the US soap opera, 'The Bold and the Beautiful'. Photo: Aabelle Orozco/Flickr

Grana Padano producers were cheesed off with the gag which was broadcast to hundreds of millions of people.

These are the best beaches within easy reach of Rome

Sabaudia. Photo: Dorli Photography

You don’t need to venture far to find some good beaches near Rome. And they're cheap to get to!

Fury as mayor hopeful vows to give road fascist's name

Rome mayor candidate, Giorgia Meloni, has promised to name a Roman road after a noted fascist if she is elected. Photo: Andreas Solaro/AFP

The Idea have angered Rome's Jewish community.

Rampaging fans stab two in bar brawl after Italian Cup final

Two people were stabbed in Rome after the Italian Cup final on Saturday. Photo: Filippo Monteforte/AFP

The incident happened following Juventus' 1-0 victory over Milan in Rome on Saturday.

Hearing on Italian marine's retu home set for May 26th

Italian marines Massimiliano Latorre (R) and Salvatore Girone (L) pictured in Kochi, India, in December 2012. Photo: Strdel/AFP

India’s Supreme Court is scheduled to hear Salvatore Girone's case on May 26th, the Italian Foreign Ministry said in a statement on Monday.

Azhar imam to urge tolerance in historic pope meeting

Monday's meeting will be the first between the leader of the world's Catholics and one of Islam's most important clerics. Photo: AFP

The deputy of Al-Azhar's grand imam in Egypt said on Sunday the top Muslim cleric will bear a message of tolerance when he meets Pope Francis in Rome.

برچسب: نویسنده: استخدام کار تاريخ: سه شنبه 4 خرداد 1395 ساعت: 14:54

صفحه بندی